Purpose & Applications
- A Strain gauge ,sometimes referred to as a Strain gage is a sensor whose resistance varies with applied force.
- It converts force, pressure, tension, weight, etc., into a change in electrical resistance which can then be measured.
- It can be used to test vehicles, ship hulls, dams, and oil drilling platforms.
- A simple civil engineering application using strain gauge technology is to install strain gauges on structural components in a bridge or building to measure stress and compare them to analytical models and stress calculations
- Measuring soil pressure changes near an oil-drilling rig may require custom strain gauge technology to properly capture the subtle changes in pressure distribution